Removing noise from photo and video tapes

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Gerald Sr.

Removing noise from photo and video tapes

Post by Gerald Sr. »

I have a few questions I would like to ask. First, how can I make a profile for a color photo if I don't know the type of camera that was used. Second,
what settings should I use to remove lots of noise from a photo. Last, I have a lot of video tapes and would like to know if anyone had use the Virtualdub plug-in to remove noise from video tapes.

Gerald Sr.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think the best answer to the first question would be the quick start guide, please see the Step 4 in that guide. You don't need to know which camera was used for that.

Regarding the second question, the default filter settings in Neat Image usually work well, provided you have build an accurate profile in the Step 4 above. If you want to reduce even more noise please consider increasing the noise reduction amount in the luminance (Y) channel (see Step 7 in the same guide).

Regarding removing noise from video, yes, there are many people who use Neat Video with VirtualDub. They remove noise from video tapes too. I recommend to visit the Neat Video community forum to find those people, ask for their advice and learn from them.

Vlad