Different profiles for same camera?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
chet79

Different profiles for same camera?

Post by chet79 »

Hi,

I am quite new to NI, and am just wondering what all the different profiles mean? I'm using a 30d dSLR, and there are several profile sets I can download from here:

JPG
RAW with Bibble
RAW with Adobe Camera Raw 3.4
RAW with DPP
RAW with Capture One Pro
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Those profile sets are for different types of workflows. The first one is for JPEG images produced directly by the camera. The second one is for images converted from RAW files by Bibble. Etc. Depending on your workflow, different profile sets should be used.

Vlad
chet79

Post by chet79 »

ah ok! cos I've been converting RAW -> JPG with Photoshop CS3 (ACR), but have been using the JPG profiles. Should I use the ACR ones?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, you can use ACR ones to process RAW images converted by Adobe Camera Raw 3.4 with Linear curve to RGB images in Photoshop and not yet saved to JPEGs. It is always better to reduce noise before saving those converted images as JPEGs, to avoid additional artefacts and noise.

If you must process JPEGs saved by CS3 after conversion from ACR then I guess you will have to build your own profiles for such a worfklow (RAW->ACR->JPEG->Neat Image). The profile sets available in the library do not cover this workflow. The closest one is RAW->ACR->Neat Image, which may be different in terms of noise properties, so I would indeed build a new profile set for you images. If there are only few of them then perhaps they could do with a simple Auto Profile -based workflow.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
chet79

Post by chet79 »

cheers Vlad!