RAW from Canon 5D and xTi - NI Does?

general questions about Neat Image
corplawyer

RAW from Canon 5D and xTi - NI Does?

Post by corplawyer »

My workflow has consisted of converting RAW images from Canon dSLR's into TIF using Canon's own DPP image program. Then, I run these TIF's through Neat Image Professional as a plug-in in Irfanview.

Recently, while I was recommending NI, someone asked me if NI processed RAW images. I hadn't thought about that question in a long time, and I noticed that DPP itself now does a rudimentary form of noise removal, on the RAW file.

Is there any way I can use NI on RAW images? I ask because I imagine that it would be more powerful from the RAW image itself.

Thanks.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

NI can be used on RGB images, while RAW files are not necessarily RGB images. Neat Image needs RGB data. Therefore, you have to convert to RGB (open a RAW image) using an editor like Photoshop or any other capable of opening RAW images and then apply NI plug-in.

Vlad
corplawyer

Post by corplawyer »

"NI can be used on RGB images, while RAW files are not necessarily RGB images. Neat Image needs RGB data. Therefore, you have to convert to RGB (open a RAW image) using an editor like Photoshop or any other capable of opening RAW images and then apply NI plug-in."

-------------

I have opened a Canon RAW image in Photoshop Elements. A separate window opened up for that image. I do can adjustments in that window, but I cannot call up Neat Image.

What do I do?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please open that image as RGB, make sure the window says RGB in its caption.

Vlad
corplawyer

Post by corplawyer »

No such option for opening as. No "RGB" mode. And if there were, that would mean I had just turned a RAW file into something else, no?

However, perhaps I am slow. Are you basically just saying, in a roundabout way, that Neat Image does not work on RAW files?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Neat Image plug-in in Photoshop or in Irfanview does not work on files (in general), it works on image data provided by the host application. It is the host who works on files: the host has to be able to open a file and then send the RGB data of the image to the plug-in. Then, Neat Image works on RGB image data. If the host is not able to provide RGB data then Neat Image cannot work.

I believe you have to use Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements to get an RGB image from a RAW file. Then this RGB image can be processed by NI.

Vlad
Alan Bremner

Post by Alan Bremner »

Corplawyer,

Open the RAW file with Elements (which will use Camera Raw) and once you've made any necessary adjustments click "Open Image". The image will then open in the main Elements workspace, and I run the NI plug-in if desired, along with any other desired adjustments.

Hope this helps. I've been on holiday so am coming late to the thread.

Alan
cgbick3

Post by cgbick3 »

Given all the functions that ACR 4.1 can do on both raw and jpg files, I wish there was a "plug-in" capability so I could have Neat Image noise reduction inside ACR. The built in noise reduction in ACR is not very good. I wouldn't even need to use CS3 for most pictures if there was better NR in ACR.