Test Target

general questions about Neat Image
saturndude

Test Target

Post by saturndude »

I would like to take some pictures of the test target using my friend's camera.

Instead of forcing the camera to take an out of focus picture for each shutter speed and ISO, can just I print the test target out of focus to begin with? Then I won't have to "trick" the camera into taking a picture out of focus, correct?

I think this would save a great deal of effort if I want to take lots of shots (different ISO, shutter speeds).

I am tired of borrowing it so many times in the past (vacation trip, formal dinner, and so forth). I want to shoot as many test shots as I can, and give it back to my friend quickly. But I also want to create good profiles.

Please tell me what you think.
NITeam

Re: Test Target

Post by NITeam »

saturndude wrote:I would like to take some pictures of the test target using my friend's camera.

Instead of forcing the camera to take an out of focus picture for each shutter speed and ISO, can just I print the test target out of focus to begin with?
You can but you will not achieve the required results because shooting a out-of-focus-printed-target will still keep the paper texture in focus, which is not what the noise analyzer wants to work with (it wants to see pure noise free of any details).

BTW, you don't have to shoot the target for really ALL combinations of camera setting. It is important to cover the most important settings (there is a list in the user guide) and then you can simply load the most matching profile and additionally auto fine-tune it to the current image. This will achieve the same quality as profiling for all possible combinations of most and less important camera settings and in less time.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
saturndude

Thanks!

Post by saturndude »

Thank you. This will help me quite a lot.

I will borrow the camera next week. The profiles I develop should help me really improve the vacation shots I took two years ago.

I also have a large panel of wood with rectangles drawn on it. I will shoot pictures of that (as I slowly zoom in) to develop barrel/pincushion information for this camera.

Thanks again!