Vary aperture or shutter speed for profile set?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
Will Charles

Vary aperture or shutter speed for profile set?

Post by Will Charles »

Hi, when creating a profile set for a camera over a range of ISO settings, should one hold a constant aperture setting and vary the shutter speed to get good, consistent exposure, or hold the shutter speed constant and vary the aperture?

Thanks,
Will.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It makes sense to shoot the target using the same camera modes you normally use for regular images. If you manually vary the shutter speed with regular images, then do the same with the target shots. If you let camera decide with regular images then do the same with target shots.

In principle, it is usually sufficient to set some specific ISO rate and let other parameters (aperture, shutter speed) to be automatically set by camera. When you have a profile set build in this way, you can load a profile and further Auto Fine-Tune it to the specifics of the current input, which will compensate small differences in shutter speed (between the current image and test shot used to build this profile).

Vlad
Will Charles

Post by Will Charles »

Thanks for the swift response Vlad!

I normally should my D70 in Aperture Priority mode allowing the camera to select shutter speed and/or ISO setting for correct exposure. So maybe that's the best model to follow when creating my own set of device profiles?

But, having had a quick look at NI, especially when auto-matching a profile to an image, 'Exposure Time' (shutter speed?) seems to be more relevant? So maybe I should shoot several series of ISO based profiles series at known shutter speed and allow the camera to select an appropriate aperture?

Time for some experimentation I guess?

Thanks,
Will.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Will Charles wrote:But, having had a quick look at NI, especially when auto-matching a profile to an image, 'Exposure Time' (shutter speed?) seems to be more relevant? So maybe I should shoot several series of ISO based profiles series at known shutter speed and allow the camera to select an appropriate aperture?
Yes, that is the most common way of building profiles by NI users, according to my observations. I like it too.

Vlad
Will Charles

Post by Will Charles »

Thanks again; but, maybe you should say exact same in the user manual? Or at least in the FAQ? Perhaps a 'normal' or 'recommended' workflow for profile creation with an SLR? I would guess that the majority of purchasers are either keen photographic amatuers or pros, so a bit of technical detail/process shouldn't scare them off?

Thanks,
Will.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We have a pretty detailed profiling workflow in the user guide at the moment. For example, please see the following part: Neat Image user guide / Device noise profiles / Preparing a profile set for different device modes / Stage I. Selecting device parameters for a profile set

Vlad