5.8 pro+ : some problems with embedded icc profiles

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
Alain

5.8 pro+ : some problems with embedded icc profiles

Post by Alain »

Hi

I have a strange problem when using Neat Image :

I feed Neat Image a batch of 16bit tif images and ask jpeg output, with the noise reduction dependent on the ISO value.

If I do that with sRGB embedded, all goes fine. If I embed a "adobe RGB like" icc profile, it's erratic. Some applications will recognise the embedded profile, some others not. Strangly enough it does work if I ask 8bit tiff output.

BTW. I found out when I sent someone some pictures and he got a "no profile" dialog box in photoshop. It could be a photoshop problem, I do know that idimager doesn't give the problem.

Alain
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It is in principle possible that some ICC profiles are not saved/recognized when you open a TIFF and save a JPEG. This is partially described in the user guide, in this section, paragraph Preserve image metadata in output image files.

To avoid the problem, I recommend (when working with TIFF input images) to save output images as TIFFs too.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Alain

Post by Alain »

NITeam wrote:It is in principle possible that some ICC profiles are not saved/recognized when you open a TIFF and save a JPEG. This is partially described in the user guide, in this section, paragraph Preserve image metadata in output image files.

To avoid the problem, I recommend (when working with TIFF input images) to save output images as TIFFs too.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Thanks

But I find it strange that some profiles go through without problems (with me) and another gives a very strange problem. I would expect it to work with all applications or not.

Another question : Has Neat Image the possibility to use one off the compressed tiff formats?

Alain
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There may be different encodings of profiles that are differently saved.

Yes, it can read LZW- and ZIP-compressed TIFFs.

Vlad
Alain

Post by Alain »

NITeam wrote:There may be different encodings of profiles that are differently saved.

Yes, it can read LZW- and ZIP-compressed TIFFs.

Vlad
Hi Vlad

That's nice, maybe you could give those compression options on write?
I've even seen a image editor that had the possibility to restrict it to a lower nr of bits (aka 10,12 or 14 bits), the least significant bits where zeroed before compression.

Alain
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately, it is not very easy to write those compressed TIFFs using the TIFF library we use. There are many issues involved in writing such images, including those metadata. We give preference to the possibility of saving all metadata when you process TIFF->TIFF (instead of compression of the output image file).

Also, the effect of LZW/ZIP compression is not very high, while writing uncompressed TIFFs in modern days of huge hard drives is no longer problem from the standpoint of disk space and is faster than saving compressed TIFFs from the standpoint of speed.

If you still need to write compressed TIFFs, please consider running a batch using Neat Image plug-in in Photoshop batching facility and using Photoshop file saving options.

Thank you,
Vlad