Photoshop Elements 5

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Living Life

Photoshop Elements 5

Post by Living Life »

I had been using the free version of NI from within Photoshop Elements 5. I just purchased the Home version and installed. My normal workflow is to open camera image (either JPEG Fine Large or Raw and then to PSE5), make initial adjustments and then go to "Filters" and "NI", remove noise, and save as PSE5. I guess I can't access NI from the filter drop-down of PSE5 in the Home version. So, I opened stand-alone and tried to open my PSE5 (.psd) image from there. There's no way to get to it. Do I have to have the Home+ version to be able to work on .psd files? If not, how do I get to them? Thanks for your help.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you want to use Neat Image as a plug-in from PS Elements then you need either Home+ or Pro+ edition, the Home edition does not include the plug-in. You can upgrade your license from Home to Home+ edition using this page. This will add Neat Image to the Filters menu in PSE.

Vlad
Living Life

Photoshop Elements 5

Post by Living Life »

Thank you so much for your response.

So, as I understand it, with the stand-alone version, I can't open .psd files? I understand that I have to upgrade to get the plug-in added to filters.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Only standalone opens image files itself, with plug-in it is PS who opens them so you can open PSD files in PS and process them in the plug-in.

Vlad
Living Life

Post by Living Life »

Thank you. But I guess either I'm not making myself clear in writing my question, or I'm being unusually "thick" today.

When you open the standalone version and start at the first step, it asks you to open an image to be worked on. So I click on open and go to my folder that has the images. The only images I can see are .jpg, .tiff, and .bmp images. Files with .psd extensions I understand are Photoshop Elements files, but they are still images. They are not showing up as a selection, so I am assuming I cannot open them from the standalone version, correct? I understand with the plug-in Photoshop would be opening it, but I'm just trying to figure out if they can be opened from within the standalone version. If they can, how would I do that.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The standalone supports the following image file formats: TIFF, JPEG, BMP.

The standalone works with image files in this way: Neat Image standalone <- (open image file) <- image file.

The plug-in works in another way: Neat Image plug-in <- (receive an image) <- Photoshop <- (open image file) <- image file.

If you compare the two ways, you will notice that the standalone directly opens an image file, while the plug-in doesn't open any image file at all. Instead, it receives an image opened by Photoshop. Photoshop can open PSD files, so Neat Image plug-in can in effect work with such images.

If you want to work with PSD files in the standalone Neat Image you can convert those PSD files to TIFFs (RGB, single layer, no alpha channel).

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Living Life

Post by Living Life »

Thank you, now I understand. Sorry, to be such a pain. I used the free version and really liked it. But it was getting to be a bit much having to do section by section on each photo. I think I'm going to enjoy the full version once I learn my way around.

Appreciate your help!

Carolyn Marshall
Living Life Photography