Sharpening Settings: Photoshop's equivalants?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
plevyadophy

Sharpening Settings: Photoshop's equivalants?

Post by plevyadophy »

The general advice for getting good JPEGs on one of my cameras is to set the Sharpnes to Low; then in Photoshop set UnSharp Mask=400%, Radius=0.6 pxls, Threshold=0

Now what I would like to know is, how do those settings translate to Neat Image, what are the equivalent Neat Image settings?

Furthermore, is there some guide as to what settings to use to get similar results to the results one is accustomed to getting from particular settings in Photoshop?

Thanks in advance.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think there are three options here:

1) to do a little testing with Neat Image sharpening to see if it allows you to get the same results with your images; it makes sense to try adjusting the amount of sharpening applied to the High frequency component in the Y (luminance) channel; if you can achieve the same results then you can just use this method (1);

2) to keep using Photoshop sharpening (after using NI noise reduction without NI sharpening) for improving pixel-level sharpness of images undersharpened by the camera;

3) to use NI sharpening (perhaps in several frequency components, not just High) during noise reduction and then to use Photoshop sharpening for improving pixel-level sharpness.

In any case, you have to do a little testing with your images, your workflow, your filtration preferences.

Hope this helps.
Vlad