White Specs?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
foochey

White Specs?

Post by foochey »

I've been a long time user of NI and I have noticed since getting CS3 and a 40D that I am getting alot of white specs in my photos after I run the NI plugin in CS3 followed by some sharpening in CS3 (200, 1.3, 0). Anyone else noticing this? I tried Noiseware and I don't seem to be getting nearly as much white speckling. I used CS3 to convert the raw images, which are high-ISO image of ISO 1000 to 1600 usually. The white specs typically are showing up in the darker areas of the shots (most of mine are football).

I have built profiles for my 40D camera but it doesn't seem to matter whether or not I use a profile or not.

Any ideas as to why I'm seeing this??

Thanks!

Steve
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Perhaps the CS3 sharpening is bringing some noise or hot pixels back. Try to disable that sharpening to see if there is a difference. Also try to increase the high freq noise level in NI filter settings to suppress dots better.

Also, find out what those specs are in general. If they are hot pixels, check whether the camera is able to real with them before you even get the images into computer. If they are artefacts of RAW conversion, check the conversion settings.

Hope this helps.
Vlad