New user RAW question

general questions about Neat Image
E1user

New user RAW question

Post by E1user »

Hi,

So far from what I have seen of NI it is a fantastic program. I use an Olympus E1 and always shoot raw.

So if I shoot the calibration target as a raw file what is the workflow from here on to create the profile? I have the stand alone pro version for windows and this does not display raw images. If I create a tiff in my converter from the raw file should I avoid adjustments?

After the profiles are created how does the workflow change?
Ie; I shoot raw so normally I would do all my adjustments in Studio 2 then save a jpeg ready for uploading to the printers. Where does NI fit in this process? Do I save a TIFF file for NI then jpeg it from there..??

Sorry if this seems confusing hope I explained this correct! :? I suppose I need to know the exact way from the raw image to the finished jpeg for upload.

Thanks for any help.

John
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please see this discussion: RAW profiles. How is it done/effective?.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
E1user

Post by E1user »

Thanks for quick response. Still not so sure though because I am not using photoshop.

So I should load the raw file into Olympus Studio2 make adjustments like EV etc and colours then save as a tiff. Then load the tiff and apply NI and save as a jpeg for printers.

That bit seems easy but creating the profile seems the confusing part as I start in raw? Is it worth shooting the calibration target in the cameras tiff mode?

thanks

John.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

E1user wrote:Thanks for quick response. Still not so sure though because I am not using photoshop.
It doesn't matter much, simply replace "Photoshop" / "camera raw" with the name of your RAW converter.
E1user wrote:So I should load the raw file into Olympus Studio2 make adjustments like EV etc and colours then save as a tiff.
Yes, convert RAWs to TIFFs and then use NI on TIFFs. Use the same conversion settings for both shots of the Calibration Target (to build profiles) and working images that you will filter (using those profiles).
E1user wrote:That bit seems easy but creating the profile seems the confusing part as I start in raw?
No, bulding profiles is done using TIFFs already.
E1user wrote:Is it worth shooting the calibration target in the cameras tiff mode?
If you want to have profiles for "RAWs converted to TIFFs" then you have to shoot in RAW. If you want to have profiles for "camera TIFFs" then shoot in TIFF. The profiles will most likely be different because noise properties of such "RAWs converted to TIFFs" and "camera TIFFs" will be different and will also depend on RAW converter you use and conversion settings you use.

Vlad
E1user

Post by E1user »

Thanks for the response, excellent stuff and very quick :)

Things a lot clearer now once again thanks.

John.