Newbie Auto Noise Profile Questions

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
Gribnick

Newbie Auto Noise Profile Questions

Post by Gribnick »

Hi, I a aboslute newbie to Neat Image and am having trouble making a noise profile. I've printed out the target and taken the out of focus images at various ISO ratings. The problem is when I try to automaticaly make the profile it simply takes a sample from the large semi-green square in the center of the target and calls that good. It's not. I was assuming that it would sample all or at least a few swatches and then use the combined data to generate the profile.
I does a decent job with the sampled portion but some of the other swatches, particulary the "maroonish" one in the lower left corner goes nuts. I can get pretty close by hand but I was really hoping the auto would exceed what I caould do by fumbling around. I've got to be missing something. Any info would be a huge help.
To be fair I did take the photo one stop down at 3200 ISO for a worst case scenario.
Thanks in advance.
NITeam

Re: Newbie Auto Noise Profile Questions

Post by NITeam »

Gribnick wrote:Hi, I a aboslute newbie to Neat Image and am having trouble making a noise profile. I've printed out the target and taken the out of focus images at various ISO ratings. The problem is when I try to automaticaly make the profile it simply takes a sample from the large semi-green square in the center of the target and calls that good. It's not.
It is. Auto Profile analyzes that selected area first and then analyzes all other areas too, automatically.
Gribnick wrote:I was assuming that it would sample all or at least a few swatches and then use the combined data to generate the profile.
That's right, that is what it does. It does all that automatically and everything you, as a human operator (who is certainly smarter than the software), have to do is to check that NI uses a suitable main area for profiling. In case of the calibration target it is the central area. In case of a regular image, it can be any flat featureless area with no details and with visible noise. If a correct area is used as the primary analysis area (the ares inside the selection) then you can be sure Neat Image will build a good noise profile in one click of the Auto Profile (with Regular Image or with Calibration Target) button. Please note, only one, not many clicks on different areas. One is sufficient.

Hope this helps,
Vlad