Post by pip boogaloo »

when im shooting the calibration target with the camera
do i aim it at the central greenish square
or the whole screen frame including all colour samples

how does this work

ps great work used free version for a while - now moved upto pro+
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I recommend to aim at the center and make the whole target will the whole frame. Shoot slightly out-of-focus (set focus to infinity or to macro to fool autofocus system) to avoid capturing surface details (you only want to capture camera noise, but not surface details).

Hope this helps,
Vlad
pip boogaloo

Post by pip boogaloo »

thanks, ive now tried many times with a high quality print out on matte paper and tried in various lighting, direct, shaded, muted etc and it keeps coming up with non-uniform colour message.

and giving the profile 57% accuracy, how can i improve this.

does neat image create one generic profile for the whole target calibration or create one for each of the colour patches.

btw my calibration target will only print out black and white, since i mainly shoot in colour will this make a material difference to the profiling accuracy
pip boogaloo

Post by pip boogaloo »

ps i am knocking it out of focus as suggested too
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Is there any visible noise in the shots you get?

Do you use Auto Profile with Regular Image or Auto Profile with Calibration Target?

Neat Image builds a profile using the whole target. One target shot corresponds to one camera mode, so one profile is for one camera mode. To cover several camera modes, you have to shoot several times using for example, different ISO rates.

Grayscale vs color target doesn't make much difference.
I think the problem is that there is little noise to analyse in the shot. Which camera mode you use? BTW, you can e-mail me a sample image and I will check what is causing the difficulty.

Vlad
pip boogaloo

Post by pip boogaloo »

hi i was using profile with calibration target, after loading the image calibration target in.

i have now found that when i load the target in and simply click auto profile on the main screen, it gives 80% ish accuracy

why the discrepancy between the two methods, i must be doing something wrong.

i have the fuji s100fs
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Probably there is not enough noise. Which ISO is it?

Try to manually move the selection to the most noisy square of the target before clicking Auto Profile.

Vlad
pip boogaloo

Post by pip boogaloo »

started at iso 100 and went up from there
but its not particular to iso 100, also does it through to iso 800

there is visible noise in the images and just through clicking auto after loading a picture directly in - it makes a difference.

but trying to use the calibration targets yields worse results in terms of accuracy - even though the image is totally uniform.

obviously i was trying to use the calibration target for images that have no uniform area for analysis by neat image

>>>would it be ideal to capture out of focus clear blue sky and create profiles from that at various ISO to store<<<

whats your view on that

thanks vlad for speedy replys
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The best would be to use the target. Do not worry about the low quality figure, it may sometimes be tricked by low noise but the profile itself should be good. Better than with a sky shot.

Please try to manually select an area in the target that produces no non-uniform color warning. It is usually possible to find such area if NI doesn't find it automatically. Just more the selection within the central square and see if it gives the warning, once it stops giving the warning, click Auto Profile. The resulting profile will be as good as the one you have now, but it will additionally show a higher quality level.

Vlad