How do I use built-in profiles?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
johngie

How do I use built-in profiles?

Post by johngie »

I'm really confused (or thick) about this. I have all the noise profiles for my Nikon D200 in the PROFILES folder, and when I start NI from PSE5 I see the correct EXIF info in the "Device Mode" box on the right. When I click on Noise Filter Settings, I see no difference at all in the "slider settings" and, when using the preview function, there is no effect at all on the image. Under "Filter Preset", I see "recent preset" and that doesn't change whatever I do (e.g. clicking on any of the options under the "auto match" drop-down). When I look at the Profile Viewer, all the info looks sensible but in the middle it says "Not saved in profile", with no apparent means of saving it! It shows an overall profile quality of 85%.
The rather annoying thing is that the "opposition" (NN) does it perfectly.

How on earth are you supposed to use this feature? I've been up and down the "Help" and it doesn't help! :(
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Lets do that together, step by step.

1. you open the plug-in for an image;
2. you see the Device Noise Profile tab in the plug-in window;
3. you also see the profile called "RecentProfile" in the Device Noise Profile box as well as the profile details: device name, device mode, etc.; this profile is the noise profile that was used in the previous session of the plug-in (when you filtered the previous image);
4. if the current image has been produced by the same camera in the same mode then it makes sense to keep using this recent profile, otherwise you have to build a new profile or load a pre-built profile from the disk;
5. from your message, it looks like you didn't build a new profile nor loaded a profile from the disk; it looks like you just kept using that recent profile despite the possible difference between the current image and the previous image;
6. because these images can be very different in terms of noise, using the same noise profile is not right; it is necessary to build a new one or load a pre-built profile that matches the current input image;
7. to build new profile please see the step 3 in this page; you can also use the whole workflow described in that page as a good starting point;
8. to load a pre-built profile from a downloaded profile set you can either manually load the corresponding profile or try to use the Auto Match Profile function (which will try to find the most suitable profile based on the EXIF data of the current input image as well as data stored in profiles): press Ctrl+M or use the menu Profile | Open Best Matching Profile command.
9. Once you get the right profile ready, switch to the Noise Filter Settings tab and try to use Preview as described in the step 5 in this page; the preview should show a difference now.

The lessons:
- only use RecentProfile if the current image is produced by the same camera in the same camera mode, otherwise build/load noise profiles for your input images;
- if you are not sure what to do, follow the basic workflow described in this page;
- to use additional tools like Profile Viewer, please check the user guide (for example, you can find that to save a noise sample in profiles you have to enable the "Save noise sample in profile" option in Profiling options, though this has nothing to do with the lack of filtration results in preview, that was caused by using an incorrect/non-matching profile).

Hope this helps,
Vlad