RAW Workflow with Capture One 4.1 & NI

questions about practical use of Neat Image
water8

RAW Workflow with Capture One 4.1 & NI

Post by water8 »

Hi,

I am thinking a Raw workflow using Capture One + NI :-

1. Capture One (adjusting white balance, exposure, contrast, brightness, saturation, and set both sharpening & noise reduction to zero) of the raw files, and then output to TIFF16 files
2. use NI (batch with auto noise profiles) to process the TIFF16 files, with NI to output JPEG at 95% as the competed pictures

I do C1 first beause I would like to keep the adjustments with the raw files.

my questions :
1. would the above Capture One processes change the characteristics of the noise profile dramatically ?
2. any way I can improve the work flow ?
3. anything I need to be careful when building the profiles?
4. or any other workflows that I should consider?

Thanks,
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Hi,

I will try to answer the questions:

1. it would change the noise but perhaps not very much so some other options besides using Auto Profile could perhaps be used as well;

2. you can try to use Auto Match (over a good quality profile set built using images of the Calibration Target that were converted by the C1 in the step 1) followed by Auto Fine-Tune; this can help you get noise profiles in cases when specific input images do not contain enough flat featureless areas for Auto Profile to be effective; in any case, this is another possibility that can be used as an alternative to Auto Profile;

3. just make sure you use a flat featureless area with visible noise, not very bright, not very dark area;

4. regarding NI part, you can try to compare the Auto Profile vs Auto Match + Auto Fine-Tune workflows in NI; the latter may provide more accurate profiles in cases when input images are not drastically different (because of those adjustments) from the images of the Calibration Target that came through C1.

Also, you could try to do something different like:
1. convert RAWs to TIFFs using some basic settings without any adjustments;
2. process TIFFs in NI using Auto Match + Auto Fine Tune, save results as new TIFFs;
3. post-process these new TIFFs to adjust white balance, exposure, contrast, brightness, saturation, sharpening, etc.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
water8

Post by water8 »

I have been using NI pro+ for over a year for the batch processing, and I really like the software, and considered this is one of the best software that I have ever purchased.

I have spent time to read through the user manual and follow the "Profiling with Calibration Target" to do the best profiling for my DSL. During the time I was shooting JPEG, and I am pretty happy with the simplicity of the batch process and the quality.

Recently, i want to start shooting RAW. So I doing testing on a RAW processing s/w C1 before NI, and I have done a new profiles based on Tiff. However, I understand any pre-processing may affect the accuracy of the profiles; the question is in what extent? Please advice in what extent of these actions affecting the profile accuracy?

1. white balance,
2. exposure,
3. contrast,
4. brightness,
5. saturation,
6. crop the image (not to do, as I believe it could badly affect the profile)
7. sharpness (not to do as to do, as I believe it could badly affect the profile, so I let NI to do the job)

Few more questions :

Would the “Auto Fine-Tune” help in this situation?

In term of Color space, the DSL is shooting sRGB when I output the TIFF16 from C1, which color formation is good, adobe RGB , sRGB, ..?

I am using 5.8 pro+, should I upgrade to 5.9 to work with C1?

Also, since most my noise reduction is at ISO1600, would it help if I build profiles at every shutter speed?

Thanks
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

1. not much
2. more than 1
3. similar to 2
4. similar to 2
5. not much
6. not much
7. can be more than 2

Auto Fine-Tune (AFT) should be able to help with 1 - 6 I think. Of course if you take some adjustments to extreme then it may be too much for AFT.

Any type of RGB color space is good, no need to worry about NI, just select the color space you prefer to use in general.

5.8 vs 5.9: I recommend to use the latest version in any case, since it fixes some of the issues of the older versions.

Regarding profiling at every shutter speed, yes, that could be useful too. Profile Matching will take the shutter speed into account so you will get a more accurate profile (which you will probably also additionally Auto Fine-Tune) leading to more accurate filtration.

Vlad