Canon DPP workflow?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
hof63

Canon DPP workflow?

Post by hof63 »

I use Canon's DPP as my editing/processing software. Where in my workflow should I use NI, in the beginning or at the end? Does it matter? Thanks in advance!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Our usual recommendation is to use Neat Image in the beginning of a workflow, to avoid aggravation of noise by other post-processing steps and to simplify profile management.
hof63

Post by hof63 »

Thank you for your qick reply. Do you mean as in the VERY FIRST step?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

As early as possible, that usually works best. In principle, Neat Image will work in any step, but it may be easier to apply it in the beginning.

Vlad
hof63

Post by hof63 »

Will Neat Image work with RAW images as well? I use Canon's DPP to do my processing.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Neat Image will work with RGB images converted from RAW files by a RAW converter.

Vlad
hof63

Post by hof63 »

So I would have to do all of my RAW editing/processing first, convert to jpeg and THEN use Neat Image. Correct?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I would not save intermediate files in JPEG, because JPEG is a lossy format and should only be used in the very end of a workflow. I would use TIFF instead.

Vlad
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

NITeam wrote:I would not save intermediate files in JPEG, because JPEG is a lossy format and should only be used in the very end of a workflow. I would use TIFF instead.

Vlad
Hi, I normally use DPP to reduce Image Noise first, then convert to JPG and use the Converted JPG with NI to clean up the left over Noise from DPP.

You have advised to use TIFF, however there are 2 TIFF formats, which one should we be using? 8bitt or 16 bit?

It would be best to have some Manual or advises on using NI with DPP :D
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

16-bit TIFF would be better, but if you generally use an 8-bit workflow then 8-bit TIFFs may be easier to work with.

Vlad
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

NITeam wrote:16-bit TIFF would be better, but if you generally use an 8-bit workflow then 8-bit TIFFs may be easier to work with.

Vlad
hmm 16bit from DPP, and use NI to convert to JPG?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This mostly depends on your further workflow. If you need JPEGs then you can save them in NI. If you further post-process these images then saving TIFFs in NI is the best solution.

Vlad
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

NITeam wrote:This mostly depends on your further workflow. If you need JPEGs then you can save them in NI. If you further post-process these images then saving TIFFs in NI is the best solution.

Vlad
Ok, Thanks for the advise :)