Valid to compare camera noise with info from Profile Viewer?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
l_d_allan

Valid to compare camera noise with info from Profile Viewer?

Post by l_d_allan »

I'm curious to compare the amount of noise between a variety of digital cameras, including a point-n-shoot, crop DSLR, and full-frame DSLR.

From within NeatImage, I have looked at the "Profile Viewer", which reports a variety of numbers, including "Overall Profile Noise Level". I was wondering if the numbers from different cameras were directly comparable ("apples and apples"), or not ("apples and oranges").

Here's the nature of the questions I'm trying to answer:

* How does the noise of a point-n-shoot, a crop DSLR, and a f.f. DSLR compare at iso 100?

* How does the noise of crop DSLR at iso 400 compare to the noise of a f.f. DSLR at iso 400, 800, 1600, 3200, etc.

* How does the noise of point-n-shoot at iso 100 compare to the noise of a crop DSLR at iso 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, etc.

* How does the noise of a DSLR compare at iso 100 when exposing normally, and using E.T.T.R. (expose to the right)?

My speculation is that if I shot the same calibration target under the same conditions, and did the same p.p.'ing, the "Overall Profile Noise Level" number reported might be directly comparable. But I wanted to check before proceeding.

If using the Profile Viewer as described above wouldn't be comparable, is there an alternate way to get comparable numbers?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Profile viewer figures would be comparable among different cameras. Another way is to calculate std over flat noisy areas, for example in Photoshop.

Vlad