Is NeatImage still alive?

general questions about Neat Image
pforsell

Is NeatImage still alive?

Post by pforsell »

Hi,
I have been a loyal customer of NeatImage since version 4 or something... cannot remember really, but must be like 7-8 years anyhow.

Currently the development seems to have stalled. Other noise utilities have gained features like banding removal, fixed pattern noise (FPN) removal, amp glow removal, better hot/dead pixel removal, hot strip removal*, and higher quality results with less noise but better color and detail at the same time.

Will there be a new version of NeatImage in the future? Will any of these features be included?

Currently my workflow has become overly complex because NI doesn't provide all the necessary features in one package.

1) first I remove hot pixels and hot strips (old D3X camera) with Pixel Fixer
2) secondly I remove color noise with Lightroom (best in the world for this)
3) thirdly I remove luminance noise with NI
4) then I remove banding noise with Topaz Denoise
5) then I remove amp glow in Photoshop

It would be awesome to be able to use NI for all of this. Currently I am often skipping phase 3 (Neat Image) and instead using Topaz for luminance noise and banding. Not 100% as good as NI, but faster with one less step to take.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, the development of new versions is under way. We are currently working on a new major version, which will include several new features and capabilities. I do not expect it to solve all types of problems you mentioned but some of them it should be able to handle. Thank you for describing your workflow, that will also help us while we are working on this new version. Stay tuned. More details will be available in the coming months.

Kind regards,
Vlad
Det

Post by Det »

I am very pleased to read that.
1) first I remove hot pixels
same on Canon 5D MIII
fixed pattern noise (FPN)
that would be a great improvement
and higher quality results with less noise but better color and detail at the same time.
That would of course still not bad. :D

Neat Image is really great, but I'm waiting eagerly for some improvements!!!
Drazick

Post by Drazick »

Hi,
Does it mean replacing Wavelets with something else?

Thank You.