V8 not reading camera noise profiles [SOLVED]

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
newmikey

V8 not reading camera noise profiles [SOLVED]

Post by newmikey »

I installed the V8 update but it will not automatch the existing noise profiles even if I lower the matching parameter priorities. I have started up the existing V7 and verified it can still find the appropriate profiles. Folder settings point to the right profiles folder.

Small issue but would love to see it resolved. Other than that V8 is kind of slow on my machine but it does deliver a remarkably cleaner end result even on low-ISO images. Less artefarcting going on if I zoom in. Great stuff!

Mike
Last edited by newmikey on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

v8 may be able to use some v7 profiles - those that include the noise sample. It will automatically convert those to new v8 format for use. However that is only possible if the noise sample is present in v7 profiles. If it is not present, then the only way is to get/build new v8 profiles for use with v8. If you downloaded profiles from our online library, please re-download the updated v8 profiles.

If you built your own profiles in v7 (or older version), you can use the menu Tools > Profile Converter in Neat Image 8 to convert those to new v8 format.

Once profiles are converted, these fresh v8 profiles should work well with Auto Match.

Regarding speed of v8 vs v7. Please note that v8 now by default works in High quality mode (adjustable in Filter settings when working in Advanced mode), which is different from v7, which has only one - Normal quality mode. v8 now has three quality modes: Normal (which is faster, similar to v7), High (default) and Highest (slower than High). So you can choose the quality mode depending on your preference for higher speed or better quality. If you set the quality to Normal and also disable processing of Very Low Freq and Ultra Low Freq components in filter settings (to match the default parameters of Neat Image 7), then the speed will be the same or higher than in Neat Image 7.

To summarize:
- in Normal quality mode, Neat Image 8 is about the same as Neat Image 7;
- in High and Highest quality modes, Neat Image 8 is slower but can produce better results.

Thank you,
Vlad
newmikey

Post by newmikey »

NITeam wrote:If you downloaded profiles from our online library, please re-download the updated v8 profiles.
Aha! I missed the fact that there now are new profiles available because the page with all the device brandnames (https://ni.neatvideo.com/download/noise-profiles/) did not change and the buttons for a choice between V7 and V8 only appear when you click through to a deeper level!

Marked SOLVED

Thanks Vlad, as usual great customer service.