workflow for multi cam shoot

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Post Reply
kgbrooklyn
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:36 am

workflow for multi cam shoot

Post by kgbrooklyn » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some advice on best practices for applying neat video to a multi cam shoot.

This was a exercise video set up with three cameras, shot in 4k prores on three different cameras.

All 3 cameras produced noise, but at different levels.

I tried to apply Neat Video clip by clip to the multicam sequence but it seemed prohibitively time consuming. I also tried to denoise each cam in a nested sequence, but the render time for each cam was about 72 hours.

Factoring in time constraints, my plan is to export the project in an uncompressed prores quicktime time, and apply Neat to the exported file.

Give that the noise levels are different for the three cameras, is my new plan even an option?

Could I select the option within Neat to adjust to different noise levels and it will do the rest?

Would be great if someone had some thoughts on this?

Lastly, could I have some unforeseen softness consequences by applying Neat to the entire project in one fellow swoop?

Thanks!!!

NVTeam
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: workflow for multi cam shoot

Post by NVTeam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:58 pm

kgbrooklyn wrote:Factoring in time constraints, my plan is to export the project in an uncompressed prores quicktime time, and apply Neat to the exported file.

Give that the noise levels are different for the three cameras, is my new plan even an option?
It could technically work but the results may be poor because the different noise of different clips would be treated using a single filter adjusted for one of those noises only.

A solution could be to split that long clip into scenes and apply different noise reduction (separate instances of the filter) to each one.

Another option is to clean up the original clips first and then work with new clean clips in your main project.
kgbrooklyn wrote:Could I select the option within Neat to adjust to different noise levels and it will do the rest?
It is not a panacea and may not work in all cases, especially if the noise is really different (since the cameras are separate different cameras, not even one camera working in slightly different modes). In other words, Adaptive processing may help when the noise changes to a degree. Drastic changes in the properties of the noise are better addressed by using separate instances of the filter with separate noise profiles.
kgbrooklyn wrote:Lastly, could I have some unforeseen softness consequences by applying Neat to the entire project in one fellow swoop?
If you apply a noise profile built for a stronger noise to a clip with a weaker noise then you may get some unnecessary softness.

Vlad
Image Image Neat Video team
noise reduction for video and photos

Post Reply