pulsing/artifacts - super 8mm film denoise

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Walter H

pulsing/artifacts - super 8mm film denoise

Post by Walter H »

Hello, I'm having a periodic issue with odd artifacting in some of the film that I have frame-by-frame converted to digital and am applying NV5 noise and flicker reduction to in Davinci Resolve 17.

Here is a link: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/704309439/b4f97cc5d3

You can see the brick in the upper right pulsing strongly and there is a smudged halo around the man's head with the white hat and some trailing artifacts as well. These are the only two instances I have been able to note and lots of other brick walls with the same setting are without issue (including the same scene of my great-grandmother just zoomed a bit further out).

Basically, how do I best trouble shoot what's happening here? I've turned off flicker reduction and dust and scratch removal but that's not it. I have played a bit with various NR settings (I've created profiles with auto profiling the scene) but I'm not seeing a change and don't have enough understanding to do a methodological approach.

Thanks for any insights,
Walter
NVTeam

Re: pulsing/artifacts - super 8mm film denoise

Post by NVTeam »

I would start by making sure the noise profile is built correctly and is accurate. You can do that by following the recommendations of the How to Build and Tune Noise Profile tutorial. If it is difficult to do that with that footage anyway, then using Generic Profiles is recommended.

Then I would try to follow the filter tuning procedures described in the Advanced Workflow tutorial.

If that alone does not resolve the brick issue, then I would try to adjust the settings of the Jitter section of the Temporal filter. Dealing with the ghosting/halo effect may be a bit more difficult but lets first do the above steps first and see if the issue is still present.

Thank you,
Vlad
Walter H

Re: pulsing/artifacts - super 8mm film denoise

Post by Walter H »

Thanks so much for the reply, Vlad. I will work through that as you suggest and report back. Appreciate you pointing me toward the jitter section of the temporal filter.

Walter