Neat video creating Freeze frames on Render in FCP 10.6.3

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
NVTeam

Re: Neat video creating Freeze frames on Render in FCP 10.6.3

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you very much.

We have tried to reproduce the problem using our own tests on a Mac Pro with one Xeon but it worked without problems. So none of our Intel machines reproduced the issue. However it is still possible that dual Xeon may be the key to issue.

Vlad
joema

Post by joema »

Another user just completed a series of tests on a 2019 Mac Pro, config: 12-core, 96 GB RAM, Afterburner, 2 x AMD Radeon Pro W5700X, macOS 12.4, FCP 10.6.3. He also tried NeatVideo SR 5.5.2 combined with variations of the above-mentioned scenario. He never saw it.
joema

Post by joema »

In further testing today I have seen this on these built-in FCP effects: Film Grain, Raster, Stencil and Subway Shadow. On those it seems to happen less frequently than the "Trails" effect and it might require a retimed clip to manifest but I'm not sure. It is consistent with the original description by Neat Video as some kind of frame handling error, not a bug in specific plugins. It is especially difficult since the anomalies seen during playback do not always persist in the encoded file, even if the timeline was fully rendered to cache and the export was ProRes 422.
joema

Post by joema »

This can also happen if using CoreMelt's Lock & Load stabilizer or the FCP built-in chroma keyer. To reproduce that I used four stacked 1080p/29.97 ProRes 422 clips, each scaled to 50% so they all appear on the viewer, and retimed the clip to 25% speed. So it's clearly not unique to Neat Video; it affects many different affects and plugins, both built-in and 3rd party.

Interestingly I could not reproduce it using Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free plugin.

I discussed this with Apple yesterday and today, so they are working on it.
josch

Post by josch »

I rendered one of my videos in Compressor, but the same issue occurs.
joema

Post by joema »

I confirm it also happens if sending the timeline to Compressor for export. Update on 3rd-party plugins affected by this (besides Neat Video)

- CoreMelt Lock & Load stabilizer 4.0.2
- Digital Anarchy Beauty Box 5.0.4

It also happens with the built-in FCP chroma keyer.
joema

Post by joema »

I noticed FCP 10.6.4 was just released. There is a single listed fix: "Fixes an issue where video frames may be out of order during playback or export". Anyone experiencing this problem should get this version and test it.
josch

Post by josch »

Yes, it looks like they fixed the bug, at least with the use of Neat Video.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Our tests confirm that as well. FCP 10.6.4 now works correctly with Neat Video as well as with FCP's built-in effects that earlier shown the same problem.

Vlad