Neat Image displays over pronounced grain/noise

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
dlee99

Neat Image displays over pronounced grain/noise

Post by dlee99 »

I have Neat Image 9.1.0 installed on two computers. On one of them, the preview display in Neat Image appears extra grainy. The output files look fine. but even the save preview in neat image appears grainy. The extra grain appears in all tabs - Open, Prepare, Adjust and Save.

The computer that this is happening on has a nvidia m2000 graphics card that appears to be functioning perfectly with other programs, and the diagnostics that I have been able to run have shown that the card is functioning normally.

I am running LMDE 5 with nvidia-driver 470.182.03-1

Here is a link to a screenshot from the Neat Image Open Image Tab:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Apl8hB65LRz0guhPSPQ ... w?e=DSWsEl

And this is a link to the same 16 bit tiff file opened in xviewer:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Apl8hB65LRz0guhOpwJ ... A?e=FwSacH

I appreciate any suggestions to help correct this issue.
NITeam

Re: Neat Image displays over pronounced grain/noise

Post by NITeam »

Do you compare the look of the images at the 100% zoom level?

The screenshots do not show the whole windows of both applications so it is difficult to tell.
dlee99

Post by dlee99 »

The images were captured at 50%. I do see now that at 100% the images look the same(or very close).

The difference between the two computers may have to do with the smaller screen on my laptop.

Is it normal to have the reduced image quality at lower zoom levels? I expected the images to be comparable when viewed at the same scale with different viewers.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

That expectation is not correct. Different viewers have different methods of displaying image in lower zoom levels. leading to different visual results. They usually have the same methods for the 100% zoom level, so the images should normally look the same at 100% zoom.
dlee99

Post by dlee99 »

Ok, thank you for the clarification. I assume the lower grade image when zoomed out is to speed up processing?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, different display algorithms differ in quality of image visualization vs speed of processing.