Profile calibration card on set?!

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Kim Frank

Profile calibration card on set?!

Post by Kim Frank »

I'm thinking about using a chart on set, wich I would shoot just like a Greycard for White balance, to create the perfect Noise Profile in NEATVIDEO.
I assume, that the colour tempreture and quality of light (like shooting under tungsten and underfeeding the blue channel with that) do affect he ammount and charakterisics of Noise? So it wouldnt be enough to just create profiles with the different camera settings, by shooting a chart off the monitor, cause the quality and tempreture of light on set are also factors of noise, right?
So my question is, what would be the perfect chart to hold in front of the lense on set to create the perfect noise profile later?
Would a greycard work or better just a black one.
I assume that wouldn't help because of the chroma noise, right?
So is the chart on your site, to calibrate the camera the best one.
If so, could you kindly allaborate why?
Regards
KIM
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, that is correct, color temperature may have some influence.

The best chart to be used as a reference is the Calibration Target that we use in Neat Image. Shoot it in the same conditions that you have for actual working shooting and then build a noise profile using that shot. If you have several scenes with different conditions, shoot it several times.

I also recommend to use the Adaptive Filtration option to make sure Neat Video dynamically adapt its filtration to the noise that may be changing along the timeline in one clip.

Vlad
Kim Frank

Post by Kim Frank »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Would I need to also shoot it out of focus?
And if, could you explain why?
And why does the chart only cover such a few colours.
Are these the ones with the most visible noise?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, it is necessary to shoot out of focus to capture the noise itself, not the texture of the target surface.

The choice of colors is determined by the specifics of our noise reduction algorithms. These colors are good for Neat Image and Neat Video noise profiling.

Vlad
Kim Frank

Adaptive Filtration

Post by Kim Frank »

Hi...
As you suggested, I would love to use ADAPTIVE FILTRATION but cannot find it anywhere.
Where is it located to enable it?
P.S.: Its urgent
Thanks
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is below the temporal filter radius and threshold. Do you see those settings in the host application's filter settings panel?

Vlad