More stable with FCP or Motion

general questions about Neat Video
zcream

More stable with FCP or Motion

Post by zcream »

The Neat Video plugins can be used via FCP or Motion. I see tons of issues with FCP crashing due to the 2.5GB limit.

I will be using NV for lots of clips - hence I wanted to know if invoking a round-trip to Motion and applying NV within Motion is a more stable way to achieve this.

Motion uses the GPU so it has access to more RAM.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Both are 32-bit applications so the top limit on the accessible memory is quite the same. FCP is probably used more, so more reports.

I see no reasons for a difference in stability between FCP and Motion to exist, so for sake of simplicity I would choose FCP.

Vlad
zcream

Post by zcream »

Does NV allow 16-bit processing with FCP now ? I think it was 8-bit when first released.

So the FCP workflow is

1. Reduce FCP memory to 60%

If that still crashes

Reduce Radius to 0

If it still crashes
Turn on MP support in NV.

Is that correct ?

How much does a Radius of 0 affect the Noise Reduction ?

How much does it affect the processing time if NV does not have multi processing on my Quad Core.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

NV Pro for FCP does support high-bitdepth rendering done by FCP. It always did.

Reduce FCP memory to 60%. Usually that is enough to make it all stable.

Changing the filter settings may lead to lower quality of filtration, so do not do that until you have to. You can test those changes in filter settings, you will see the difference in preview in FCP. Not using multiple cores will also be slower. NV uses them all by default.

Vlad
zcream

Post by zcream »

Hi vlad.
There seems to be a performance difference between different apps that use NV.

On the mac, I hear that NV with Premiere Pro Cs5 is the fastest.

On a PC, I hear that the best usage is by NV with Virtual Dub 64-bit.

Can you confirm or deny this please ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Different versions of Neat Video themselves are the same fast. The host applications however are not. Their speeds depend on specific project settings, clips (including codecs used), etc. There is no universally fastest host. VirtualDub is fast but it doesn't support some file formats, which may make its speed useless in a specific task. Premiere can be slower than VirtualDub but it can handle a format that VD cannot, etc. If you want to get the fastest results on your data, I recommend to run the Demo versions of Neat Video in different applications and directly compare. Please remember that the results may be project- or clip-specific, just because of the way a specific host application works.

Vlad