Film Profiles

questions about practical use of Neat Image
JRGlide

Film Profiles

Post by JRGlide »

Most of the information I have read about creating profiles concern digital cameras, such as the ISO setting, etc. My question is, how many unique profiles are required for film which is scanned in? For example, I assume I need to create a profile for each type of film, such at slide, print, B&W, etc. But where does it go from there? For example, do I need a unique profile for Velvia 50 vs. Velvia 100 or Kodachrome 64 vs. Kodachrome 200? How fine a detail do I need?

Also, does the scanning resolution change the profile? For example, if I scan the same type of film at 4000 dpi in one case and 2900 dpi in another, does that change the profile?

Thanks
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

You are right in the examples you give. Yes, you need to have two separate profiles for Velvia 50 vs. Velvia 100, two profiles for Kodachrome 64 vs. Kodachrome 200, etc.

In case of film, the maker and ISO rates are the important parameters.

Regarding the film scanner, yes, different resoltions produce different noise and therefore separate profiles should be used for 4000 dpi and 2900 dpi.

So, if you scan a film, you have to build profiles for different film makers, ISO rates of the film, scanner models, scanning resolutions.

Vlad
JRGlide

Post by JRGlide »

OK, Thanks.